EP 03: Have The Right Team Help You During Divorce
This podcast addresses who you need on your divorce team. You should not go through divorce alone, as it is a difficult time legally, financially and emotionally. There are three key people who cover the legal, financial and emotional areas of your divorce:
- Divorce Attorney
- Divorce Financial Analyst
The first is the divorce attorney or the family law attorney. They are the most important team member because divorce is a legal transaction. You should get the best attorney that you can afford when it comes to your divorce. There are a couple of things you need to consider before hiring an attorney, like whom does the attorney usually represent, husband or the wife? Also, what is going to be their strategy for this case? Find the one whose strategy and personality fits best for you.
The second most crucial person to have is a divorce financial planner. Be sure to look for a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst. They work with your attorney to help you understand the complicated financial situations and implications surrounding your divorce.
The third individual to have beside you during this time is a therapist. A divorce can cause a range of emotions and a therapist can help you work through each stage of this challenging emotional time in your life.
There are some other people you might need help from like a real estate appraiser, a forensic accountant, business evaluation expert, etc., depending on the situation.
Key Learning Points:
- You should not go through divorce alone as it is a difficult time legally, financially and emotionally.
- There are three key people that you should have on your side during this time period:
- Hire the best divorce attorney or the family law attorney you can afford.
- Hire a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst to help you with the financial implications of divorce.
- Hire a therapist to help you with the emotional aspect of your divorce.
- You might need an expert from a different field depending on your situation.
- Be the captain of your divorce team.
Thank you for listening to the Divorce and Your Money Podcast. We hope the show helps you through one of the most difficult periods of your life. The host, Shawn Leamon, has an MBA, is a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst, and is the author of Divorce and Your Money: The No Nonsense Guide. One-on-one divorce coaching services are available at www.divorceandyourmoney.com.
If you enjoyed the show, please take a moment to leave a review on iTunes, as it helps other people discover this helpful advice.