Divorce can feel like the beginning of the end, but in reality, it is simply the beginning of your new life. Millions of couples throughout the world deal with divorce, and it frequently brings your marriage troubles into the public eye.
Who would know about dealing with heartbreak in public better than celebrities and famous authors? Below are some of the best divorce quotes to help you find the motivational words you need to heal.
1. “Marriage takes a lot of work. It takes a man who’s not only confident in the love that you have for one another, but confident in what he has going on in his own career. He has to be in a field that’s completely different from yours. My [second] husband’s also involved in art. What’s important to him is the recognition that he gets from his job, and that has nothing to do with my job.” – Scarlett Johansson
2. “It was like a death in the family: You go through the mourning stage, then the rebellion, and then all of a sudden you have to find life by yourself.” – Jessica Simpson
3. “Many married couples separate because they quarrel incessantly, but just as many separate because they were never honest enough or courageous enough to quarrel when they should have.” – Sydney J. Harris
4. “I’ve always been the type to fall in love fast and, with every boyfriend, I plan out my wedding in my head. It’s taught me to take things slow. Anyone would want to move on and take the lesson learned from it. I loved this person; it just wasn’t the right situation for me. I try to hold my head up high and live my life.” – Kim Kardashian
5. “When you loved someone and had to let them go, there will always be that small part of yourself that whispers, ‘What was it that you wanted, and why didn’t you fit for it?’” – Shannon L. Adler
6. “You don’t want to break up with someone. You don’t want to end a marriage, especially if you really like the person. You just know that something’s off, so you try to change everything else.” – Olivia Wilde
7. “Every record I’ve ever made has been a reflection of where I am right then in my life, however old I am. And I’ve never held back at all. But this time, with what I happened to be going through in my life, being honest was never really a choice. Everybody knew anyway. So I just said, ‘I’m gonna journal it, and—good days and bad days—use it for my art.’” – Miranda Lambert
8. “Divorce is one of the most financially traumatic things you can go through. Money spent on getting mad or getting even is money wasted.” – Richard Wagner
9. “Looking back, I feel like I was really young, and at the time, I didn’t think that I was that young. It was extremely traumatic and awful and horrible. At the same time, it turned out for the best. I’m glad that I’m not there. I’m glad that it didn’t happen when I was 50. I’m glad I didn’t have kids. And I got that out of the way, hopefully—like that’s probably not going to happen again.” – Elisabeth Moss
10. “In my divorce, I stood up and said to my ex-wife, ‘Hey, I messed up. This had nothing to do with you. I didn’t understand what marriage was. I cheated. I was wrong.’ We couldn’t fix it; it got worse. I stepped away because I didn’t want it to get any worse. ‘You’re the mother of my kids. I don’t want to hate you.’” – Kevin Hart
11. “Paying alimony is like feeding hay to a dead horse.” – Groucho Marx
12. “I think that divorce is hard for anyone. It’s a nightmare; it just is. And you can pretend you’re fine. And [some] days you’re great [and other] days you’re not great.” – Nicole Kidman
13. “Anyone who gets divorced goes through a lot of pain, but you come out of it.” – Ryan Reynolds
14. “It takes two to destroy a marriage.” – Margaret Trudeau
15. “In the real world, you couldn’t really just split a family down the middle—mom on one side, dad the other, with the child equally divided between. It was like when you ripped a piece of paper in two: no matter how you tried, the seams never fit exactly right again. It was what you couldn’t see—those tiniest pieces—that were lost in the severing, and their absence kept everything from being complete.” – Sarah Dessen
16. “[Divorce] was emotionally traumatic for me. It was the death of a dream. I was in fairy-tale land, and the reality of it wasn’t so. But I don’t really like talking about it anymore because it feels like a thousand lifetimes ago. And also it makes me look desperate, like I need it for attention.” – Katy Perry
17. “It’s one of the pains in my life that something I believe so strongly I’ve completely failed at twice. You have to have two people to dance a marriage. My heart’s a little on the tender side right now, and it’s always easier to focus on the ways that you feel hurt. But I know that with time and some perspective, I’ll have a clearer sense of where I let the system down, because there’s no way I get off in this.” – Jennifer Garner
18. “People say, ‘Oh, God, how devastating to go through a divorce.’ Did I wish for this to happen to my family? No. But everyone is healthy; we’re moving on with our lives.” – Heidi Klum
19. “The only thing more unthinkable than leaving was staying; the only thing more impossible than staying was leaving. I didn’t want to destroy anything or anybody. I just wanted to slip quietly out the back door, without causing any fuss or consequences, and then not stop running until I reached Greenland.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
20. “There’s no pain or failure like going through a divorce.” – Jennifer Lopez
It is important to remember that you are not alone when it comes to dealing with divorce. Men and women from all professions, races, and religions are going through the same thing as you. Although it may be incredibly heartbreaking, a divorce does give you the opportunity to become the best version of yourself. Just look at what these celebrities and authors have accomplished in the wakes of their divorces.